Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My first custom relic guitar

This is my latest addition. It's a totally simple and straight forward guitar. One pickup, one volume, that's it. It was also my first stab at a relic. For those of you who are wondering what a relic is, it's taking a perfectly fine guitar that's brand new and then beating the crap out of it until it looks old. I know it's crazy, but I can't tell you how good it feels to bang up a guitar when I all I do every day is take every precaution to not put a scratch on one!
Here's the specs:

Musikraft Fat "C" neck, one piece of maple. 9.5" radius with Dunlop 6105 medium frets.
Sperzel custom open gear tuning machines, chrome with pearloid buttons
Two piece light weight alder string through body supplied by Musikraft
Callaham Vintage Hardtail bridge distressed
TV Jones P90 pickup. This pickup is fantastic. It sounds killer through a Vox amp as well as others but that's my preference. It's got some fat tone and it doesn't muddy out when you dig in.
250K CTS control pot
The neck and body I ordered from Musikraft. It's my third time ordering from them and they do a great job. The neck/body joint was super tight and the guitar just rings and sustains like a darn. Everything just came together so well with this guitar and I know that it's the quality of parts that I used that made a huge difference.
Very thin nitrocellulose finish on the body and neck. The neck I used a satin lacquer to give it a worn in feel.